Monday, April 23, 2012

Meet Up Mondays: Faerie Majikk

Talk about a busy weekend! I have to start this blog post off by apologizing to my new friend Lindsey from Faerie Majikk for not sticking to the schedule. Lindsey was suppose to be featured on Friday. Had I not been running around like a chicken with my head cut off on Friday, that would have happened. Lindsey, I am very sorry! 


I took the day off of work on Friday to help out my community. I have been a part of the Seal Beach Race for the past 13 years. This year was no exception as I ran around making sure I had completed my assigned duties. Thankfully, the event went off without a hitch. Another great year to be a volunteer! 


On another exciting note, Window by the Sea will be featured inside our first store front! Hapa Collective, a boutique on Main Street, Seal Beach has graciously asked us to be a part of their shop. We are thrilled! Starting May 6th, Window by the Sea can be seen hanging on their walls waiting for a purchase! What is even better about this, our reclaimed window frames we will be using from this order came for our little home town of Seal Beach. What could be better?!? Local artist, local supplies, local artwork! Talk about a little piece of history! 


Well, enough about me. As I catch up from my crazy busy weekend, I remembered this morning that I had forgotten all about Lindsey. When you see her artwork, it's hard to believe that anyone could forget this artist who creates beautiful fantasies! 


Here she is! 



What makes you unique?



I am a fantasy/gothic artist from NSW, Australia. I am a married stay at home Mum of 5 incredible children. I really think that what makes me unique is the ability to create art that can be enjoyed by every one, I really think deep down every one wants to be able to drift away from reality and it is my art that allows them to do this.



What made you decide to start a shop?



I first discovered Etsy in 2007 in which I opened an Etsy store when I was making jewellery, I really had no idea about tags,titles and all of the business side of things. I added one necklace and that was it until I came back to etsy with a little more understanding. I created faeriemajikk.etsy.com at the end of 2008, with a few pieces of jewellery as well as my art. I did have a bit more of an idea the second time around.

The main idea for wanting to create a shop for my art was simply to be able to sell to international customers as Fantasy is not really too big within Australia (yet). At the time I had 3 children and dragging them around to markets etc was really not ideal.



Apart from creating things, what do you do?


Being a Mum of 5 is pretty demanding, so when I am not creating I am doing the usual 'mother/housewife' thing. I do not really have time for anything else.

This suits me fine as I am a bit of a homebody/hermit.

Is Etsy your full time or part time business?


Etsy is part time at the moment. I do want it to eventually get to full-time - but this will take time and is not likely to happen until all my kids are in school, my youngest is 8 months old so when she starts school this is when I will really be able to dedicate more time to my art and business.




What other avenues, if any do you share your work with the world? 


I post my art on a few POD sites such as Zazzle, Greeting Cards Universe and just started creating clipart and adding to Meylah.

I have my art licensed with MistyDreamz.com - for those who cross stitch.

you can find some of my art as pdf patterns:


What steps do you take in your creative process?


Like us all, my creative process always begin with an idea - which I may get at any time.

I have a VAPD - Visual Arts Process Diary that I keep for all of my ideas, colour and technique experiments etc.

In the front cover is an envelope I glued with IDEAS on the front. With each new idea I get, I quickly scribble it down on a piece of paper and add it to the envelope. I use these ideas later, change the idea a bit and work on from there. I do not have any set steps, I think life does get in the way of my art so if I were to even describe my creative process it would be Anarchy.


What is your favorite item in your shop and why? 


My favorite item would have to be my Moon Maiden I painting:






It is my favorite for a number of reasons - the first being execution, i think overall she turned out amazing and matched the image in my head perfectly. I also created her using a new technique for me, completely experimental. so she is my favorite because she turned out wonderfully as a result of a big experiment for me which is great, to work outside of the 'paintbox' and create something different.

Where does your inspiration come from?


My inspiration comes from any where at any given moment but Nature plays a very big part - Mother Nature in my eyes is the epitome of perfection, she gets everything right.

My children are also a huge inspiration - I love the way a child thinks and plays. Very imaginative, where anything is possible and there are no boundaries in life.

What is your favorite part of being a part of the Etsy community?


The idea that we are a community of people with similar interests and lifestyles is the best part, to know that I can communicate with others across the globe and talk about creating,promoting and parenting all at once is fantastic.

The etsy community is very close and others genuinely want to help others.


Who or what has been most influential in being where you are today?


My husband would have to be one of my biggest fans, he is always eager to tell people how great and talented I am which is great but being very self conscious tends to embarrass me a lot. He is very loud, opinionated and complete opposite of me.

Who is your most influential Etsyian?



Oh now that is very hard as there are so many amazing etsians out there. I do love Stephanie Pui-Mun Law she is amazing and successful.

 
from Faery Entrourage 


When did you know you were an artist/maker?


I would say after selling my first painting. The feeling that someone loved it so much to buy it gives you that wondrous sensation. I enjoy what I do, to the point that it is an obsession. so it is great when others share those feelings too.

Simply putting it out there in the public eye also helped me to shift from the hobbiest to Artist mindset.


How do you get out of your creative ruts?



By taking a break and doing something completely different usually helps, not forcing the creative process helps. I will go back to my VAPD and pull out one of my past ideas to get the creative juices flowing or even scrolling through my fave art website helps.

Where would you like to be in ten years?


Hopefully making a living from my obsessions. Selling regularly, teaching workshops locally, licensing my art to more companies and even having a an art book published. So much can happen in 10 years.

If you could share one tip with a new Etsy seller, what is the most important thing to learn and why?



Never stop creating, practice your craft as often as you can, be a sponge and learn new techniques all the time. Believe in yourself and your art - do not allow others to tell you otherwise. Be who you are, not what others want you to be. Stay true to your own vision and always enjoy what you do. Ask for help when you need it.







Thanks for sharing all you do Lindsey! I have a hard time finding time to create and I only have a dog! I don't know how you do it with 5 children. Props to you for being a successful artist and a mom! 

Check our Faerie Majikk here:  







Giveaway:



Win an Orchid & Reptile print set (3 - 4x6")


Become a fan of Faerie Majikk facebook page to enter!



No comments:

Post a Comment