Tuesday, July 12, 2011

I'm Back!

After a much needed vacation (that lasted much longer than anticipated) I am finally back to working on my Etsy Store!

I made my first big sale before I left for Peru and let me tell you, it was dramatic! I have never been more nervous in my life! On one hand, I was worrying about my trip and getting business complete before I was MIA for 10 days. On the other hand, I hadn't shipped a large window chalk board yet and I wasn't sure how well it was going to ship!

My first customer was in Maryland and I completely underestimated the cost of shipping. I had thought I had done a good job with those automated shipping calculators but boy was I wrong! After finding just the right box (thank you Uline) and wrapping it with everything I had under the sun to keep it safe, the package was much larger and heavier than I had imagined. We all learn the hard way right?

If that wasn't bad enough, I forgot to include the hanging materials in shipping. I hadn't realized until the next day! I was even more nervous and more flustered! I rushed shipped the picture hanger only to realize this was going to make it before my actual window chalk board did. How embarrassing!!

In the end, it was a rush to get everything together and keep me from completely pulling out my hair! My customer was a bride who was using my chalk board window as a decoration in her wedding to point people to their designated tables. I knew that no news was good news from a bride. What bride wants to follow up about their purchase on their honey moon?

I checked my email a few times when I was in Peru. I was a bit paranoid, but ultimately the window had to make it in one piece or I would have heard something. Thinking back on it, I really wish I would have asked for some photos of my window frame chalk board! But, first experiences are always something to learn from, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment